Where is it? l How does it work? l Benefits l General Inquiries
Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual Program
Is Chinese Bilingual the right choice for my child? (pdf) Note: Marion Carson School also offers Mandarin.
Mandarin language and culture programs video
The Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual Program provides students with the opportunity to acquire the basic skills for speaking, reading, writing, listening and communicating in both English and Mandarin at a young age. It is a program in which Mandarin and English are used as the languages of instruction, beginning in Kindergarten or Grade 1 and continuing to Grade 9.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Entry points - Kindergarten and Grade 1
Previous Chinese experience is not required and parents do not need to know the language
- 50/50 in K-6, in 7-9, 30% in Mandarin
- Simplified Chinese script will be taught beginning in Kindergarten
- The Han Yu Pin Yin pronunciation system will be taught to accelerate the process of learning to read in Chinese
- Subjects taught in English
- Kindergarten, Grades 1 to 6*
English Language Arts; Social Studies
- English and Chinese (Mandarin)
- integrated into the following subjects:
Mathematics ; Science; Music; Fine Arts
Subject taught in Chinese (Mandarin)
Chinese (Mandarin) Language Arts
- Junior High School - Grades 7, 8 & 9*
Chinese (Mandarin) Language Arts; Mathematics
*The Chinese (Mandarin) Bilingual Program opened in September of 1998 and expanded each year up to Grade 9.
BENEFITS OF LEARNING CHINESE (MANDARIN)
Expands the intellect
Teaches responsible citizenship
Develops enhanced feelings of self-esteem due to pride in having acquired a tangible skill
Strengthens English literacy skills
Encourages the joy of lifelong learning
- Promotes exploration, understanding and appreciation of the cultures of the Mandarin-speaking world and contributes to multilingualism and multiculturalism
Allows students to compete internationally
Provides students with more choices for advanced education and career options
Broadens students' cultural life through access to literature, art, music and theatre in another language