These sculptures were specifically commissioned for that part of Britain's Pavilion at Expo 67 which portrayed Britain responding to the challenge of the world problems and meeting international responsibilities. They were conceived and designed by Mario Armengol, who aimed to inspire two moods - an immediate reaction to man dominating and then a contradictory feeling of insignificance and dependence.
The sculptures, despite their height of 21 feet, are unmistakably human - naked, raceless, expressionless men and women. They are placed in groups, hands extended in gestures of fellowship and goodwill.
At the conclusion of Expo 67, Robert Cummings purchased the sculptures on behalf of Maxwell Cummings and Sons, who donated them to the City of Calgary.
A special committee of citizens reviewed numerous offers of sites for these statues, and finally agreed the area in front of the Calgary Education Centre, 515 Macleod Trail S.E., was the most suitable location.
(Note: This location is the former home of the central administration of the Calgary Board of Education. The New Education Centre is located at 1221 - 8 Street SW)