Niitsitapi Learning Centre opened for preschool, kindergarten and Grade 1 students in September 2016. The program will grow to add Grade 2 in the 2017-18 school year and Grade 3 in the 2018-19 school year.
Programming at the Niitsitapi Learning Centre provides early intervention through a holistic, strength-based, early learning environment. Students will build a strong academic foundation in a learning environment that reflects and nurtures their Aboriginal identity.
By providing students the best possible start to their educational journey and supporting school-to-school transitions when students move from the Niitsitapi Learning Centre, our goal is to improve Aboriginal students’ long-term success in school and prepare them to live in both worlds.
Transportation is provided by the CBE.
Unique program and benefits for Aboriginal students
This unique and innovative early learning environment will provide:
- Opportunities for families to be involved and help shape the future growth of this exciting learning journey for their children.
- Holistic, strength-based, personalized, experiential learning opportunities.
- An early childhood development preschool for Aboriginal children aged 3 and 4 years old.
- Full-day kindergarten for Aboriginal children.
- Curriculum taught through a diversity of Aboriginal perspectives and experiences to build a strong sense of Aboriginal identity and a strong academic foundation.
- Onsite services and supports for registered students and their families.
- Student transportation – yellow school bus service.
- New modernized facility, with Circle of Nations Learning Collection and Aboriginal community programs.
Who can register
Aboriginal students entering preschool or kindergarten
There is also an Niitsitapi Learning Centre full-day kindergarten program.
Eligibility for Niitsitapi Learning Centre Preschool
- 3 1/2 to 5 year-old children
Benefits of Niitsitapi Learning Centre Preschool
Native and Métis focus on language, early literacy, academics, social development and elementary school preparation with a strong cultural foundation based on the Medicine Wheel.