Is an Aboriginal Focus the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
- pride by focusing on academic, cultural and individual growth
- a desire to learn through an Aboriginal lens
- active participation in regular ceremonial activities
- engagement in language learning experiences, dancing, drumming, singing and cultural arts activities
Characteristics of an Aboriginal Focus
- Supports and encourages child and family development in a balanced manner
- Addresses physical, spiritual, mental and emotional aspects of life and development
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit focus on language, early literacy, academics, social development and elementary school preparation with a strong cultural foundation based on the Medicine Wheel and the Seven Sacred Teachings.
How to Register
For the 2017-18 school year Alternative Program registration begins January 2017. Please take your completed registration package to your designated school after you have attended the parent information session. Please refer to this school’s website for parent information session details.
For families that are new to the CBE and not Canadian citizens, please note you must first attend the Kingsland Reception Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
Aboriginal Learning Centre
The Niitsitapi Learning Centre opened for preschool, kindergarten and Grade 1 students in September 2016. The program will grow to add Grade 2 in the 2017-18 school year and Grade 3 in the 2018-19 school year.
Programming at the Niitsitapi Learning Centre provides early intervention through a holistic, strength-based, early learning environment. Students will build a strong academic foundation in a learning environment that reflects and nurtures their Aboriginal identity.
By providing students the best possible start to their educational journey and supporting school-to-school transitions when students move from the Niitsitapi Learning Centre, our goal is to improve Aboriginal students’ long-term success in school and prepare them to live in both worlds.