- Teachers and students are equals and are on a first-name basis.
- Alternative High School is a democratic community. Once a week students and teachers hold a democratic meeting to determine the non-academic workings of the school. This meeting provides a forum for the school community to solve problems, air concerns, determine the nature of the agreements and negotiate use of funds.
- Students have the freedom to learn in a personalized manner. Instruction is conducted in small groups or individual tutorials. Independent learning and personal projects are encouraged.
- Students have the opportunity to pursue personal interests and passions on Focus Fridays where teachers provide a multitude of learning and credit opportunities to students.
- Alternative High School requires that prospective students fill in an application form and be interviewed. Once accepted, students must pass an apprenticeship to obtain full student status.
- Alternative High School has a mentor system in which each teacher is responsible for monitoring the progress and well-being of mentor group students.