Early Development Centres (EDC) and Kindergarten
Family Oriented Programming (FOP) provides opportunities for families of children with exceptional needs to learn together through engaging sessions.
Register for a Session
As parents and caregivers, you are an important part of your child’s learning success. Research shows that when you participate in your child’s learning, their long-term outcomes at home, school, and community improve. We offer a variety of sessions throughout the year designed to support you. You can register for any session no matter where you are in the city.
Go to our session calendar to see a list of topics, dates, locations and to register.
Our sessions provide you with opportunities to:
- learn more about your child’s development
- interact with your child in new ways
- practice strategies outlined on your child’s Individual Program Plan (IPP)
- connect with other families
- build on your family’s strengths
Facilitators and other professionals will share information and strategies for developing:
- language and communication
- speech sounds/articulation
- early literacy
- physical skills (fine and gross motor)
- bedtime and meal routines
- social skills
- emotional maturity
- positive parenting
Sessions are a part of the enhanced supports provided to your child through Program Unit Funding (PUF).
What to expect
- Commitment: Families are encouraged to attend a minimum of four FOP sessions throughout the school year.
- Where: Sessions take place at elementary schools, libraries and other community facilities throughout Calgary.
- When: During daytime and evening hours (Monday to Friday).
- Who: Please bring your preschool/kindergarten child. Siblings are also welcome!
- How: Transportation to and from workshops can be arranged if needed. Light snacks are provided.
Questions and feedback are always welcome!