Exploring Career Choices
Dual Credit - Applied Ecology
Applied Ecology (EVS1210) provides an introduction to ecological principles at the species, population, community and ecosystem levels. Specific application of ecology to sustainability is the focus of the course.
Participation in this course could lead to the following career pathways:
- Environmental science
- Conservation science
- Wildlife biology
- Water management
- Natural resource management
- Agricultural science
course outline and the Olds College
Dual Credit Student Tip Sheet for information about being an Olds Dual Credit student.
- Get a jump start on your post-secondary education while in high school
- Build confidence through developing learning strategies and skills that support your learning transitions
- Learn about on-going opportunities and experience post-secondary learning
- Taught by experienced instructors who are connected to industry and support students in making meaningful connections to career pathways
Credits- 5, 30 level CTS
3 post-secondary credits
Open to CBE high school student who:
- are in grades 11 or 12 during the program
- have a strong interest to explore a pathway in earth sciences
- are excited about taking a post-secondary course through an online environment
- have completed the following pre-requisite courses:
- ELA 10-1 or ELA 10-2 (minimum 65%)
- Science 10
- The course is asynchronous, so students will not need to adjust their timetable. However, this is a rigorous post-secondary course and is the equivalent of one, 5 credit semester course.
- Students must submit a Personal Learning Schedule (see application checklist for details) to support the minimum of 6 hours of course work per week.
- Students will be expected to communicate with both their supervising teacher and Olds College instructor on a regular basis.
Program Delivery and Location
- This course is delivered fully online and the learning is asynchronous:
- students learn on their own schedule, accessing the lectures and reading materials independently, however
- students must meet all course assignment, quiz and test deadlines
- Semester 2 - February to May 2023
How to Apply
- The application deadline for February 2023 programming has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!
- Applications for Summer and Fall 2023 programs will be posted in Spring 2023 – check back often!
The application deadline for February 2023 has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!