Exploring Career Choices
Dual Credit - Introduction to Indigenous Studies
Introduction to Indigenous Studies (INST1101) allows students to explore and apply their understanding of the relationship between Canada’s Indigenous population and mainstream culture. This course asks students to engage in self-reflection, comparing historical and contemporary perspectives, engage with a wide range of relevant literature, independent study, critical discussion and assignments that focus on cross-cultural understanding. This course is highly appealing to students interested in Indigenous Studies and engaging in Reconciliatory action.
See example course outline.
- Learn from post-secondary experts
- Get a jump start on your post-secondary education while in high school
- Build confidence through developing learning strategies and skills that support your learning transitions
- Take part in Reconciliatory action
Credits- 5, 30 level CTS
3 post-secondary credits
Open to CBE high school students who:
- are in grades 11 or 12 during the program
- are looking to deepen their understanding of Indigenous Studies, the history of Indigenous people in Canada and Reconciliation
- are excited about learning and experiencing the post-secondary environment
on track to complete or have completed the following courses:
- ELA 20-1 or 20-2 (minimum 70%)
- Social Studies 20-1 or 20-2 (minimum 70%)
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from MRU main campus (4825 Mt Royal Gate SW, Calgary, AB T3E 6K6)
- Please note an application does not guarantee a seat in a program. Programs have maximum cohort sizes.
Program Delivery & Location
- In-person at MRU main campus (4825 Mt Royal Gate SW, Calgary, AB T3E 6K6)
- Semester 2 (February to May), Fridays, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
- There will be some full day fieldtrips which may or may not fall on regular program days. These dates will be shared in advance.
How to Apply
- The application deadline for February 2023 programming has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!
- Applications for Summer and Fall 2023 programs will be posted in Spring 2023 – check back often!
The application deadline for February 2023 has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!