Exploring Career Choices
Dual Credit - Criminal Justice Studies
Criminal Justice Studies bundles Introduction to the Criminal Justice System (JUST1101) and Diversity and Criminal Justice in Canada (JUST1102) together for a holistic introduction and examination of Canada’s Criminal Justice System. In JUST1101, students will examine the structure of the three different levels of government involved in the justice system, the various legal agencies involved and the overarching philosophies that govern the legal system. In JUST1102, students will discuss ethnic, racial and religious diversity within the framework of Canada’s policy of multiculturalism, with a particular emphasis placed on Aboriginal history and traditions and how this relates to policing, corrections and other aspects of the criminal justice system.
- Explore pathways in the Canadian Justice System and understand the complexity of this area of study and work
- Get a jump start on your post-secondary education while in high school
- Build confidence through developing learning strategies and skills that support your learning transitions
- Taught by experienced instructors who are connected to industry and support students in making meaningful connections to career pathways
Credits - 10, 30 level CTS
6 post-secondary credits
Open to CBE high school students who:
- are in grades 11 or 12 during the program
- are enthusiastic and looking to expand their understanding of the criminal justice system in Canada
- are able to commit to the duration of the program and can attend in-person classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 – 4:00 pm for the duration of the program
on track to complete or have completed the following courses:
- ELA 20-1 or 20-2 (minimum 70%)
- Social Studies 20-1 or 20-2 (minimum 70%)
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from Bow Valley College (345 6 Ave SE, Calgary AB T2G 4V1)
- Please note an application does not guarantee a seat in a program. Programs have maximum cohort sizes.
Program Delivery and Location
- Please note this program is still in development and details are subject to change.
- In-person at Bow Valley College (345 6 Ave SE, Calgary AB T2G 4V1)
- Semester 2 (February to May), Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:00-4:00 pm
How to Apply
- The application deadline for February 2023 programming has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!
- Applications for Summer and Fall 2023 programs will be posted in Spring 2023 – check back often!
The application deadline for February 2023 has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!