Exploring Career Choices
Exploratory - Culinary Arts (Teatro Group)
Do you have a passion for cooking with an interest in pursuing a career as a chef? In partnership with The Educational Partnership Foundation (TEPF) and the Teatro Group, students can participate in a program to explore a career in professional cooking. Chef Matthew Batey and the chefs of Teatro Group provide culinary education and hands on experience for a small group of students that are interested in pursuing a career in the culinary industry. Training takes place at various Teatro Group locations by red seal chefs.
Students will gain:
- Hands on skills in a variety of areas:
- Baking and pastry
- Production/batch cooking
- Breakfast cookery and donuts
- Hot side
- Garde Manger
- Safety Awareness
- Workplace Competencies
- Industry Engagement
- Skills, Training and Transition to Work:
- Training by qualified Red Seal Chefs in various settings
- Connection to potential work placements, including the possibility of employment with Teatro Group upon program completion
- Students will earn up to 5 Work Experience credits, dependent on attendance
Up to 5 Work Experience Credits
Open to all CBE high school students, who:
- Are in Grade 11 or 12 during the program
- Are minimum 16 years of age
- Are mature, punctual and reliable, as this is an industry setting
- Able to commit to the duration of the program and attend all location times
- Have completed the following
All courses are available through the home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor and should be completed
prior to applying.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the program locations each day.
- Students will need their own non-slip shoes and black pants
- 6 week program during semester 2, April 3 to May 19. Celebration date TBA
- Specific times depend on a rotation amongst different locations, see below
Program Delivery and Location
- In-person at various Teatro Group locations, including:
- Alforno (Baking & Pastry) – Mon – Fri, 7-11 am
- E.A.T. (Production/Batch Cooking) – Mon – Fri, 7-11 am
- Vendome & Holy Cow (Breakfast Cookery & Donuts) - Mon – Fri, 7-11 am
- Cucina (Hot Side) - Mon – Fri, 7-11 am
- Teatro Ristorante (Butchery) – Mon – Fri, 9 am – 12 pm
- Teatro Ristorante (paid service weekend) – Fri, Sat, Sun, 4 – 11 pm
- Students will attend each location for a 5 day (one week) rotation, with the exception of paid service weekend at Teatro, which is a three day weekend rotation
How to Apply
- The application deadline for February 2023 programming has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!
- Applications for Summer and Fall 2023 programs will be posted in Spring 2023 – check back often!
The application deadline for February 2023 has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!