Exploring Career Choices
Exploratory - Pipe Trades
In partnership with The Educational Partnership Foundation (TEPF) and Piping Industry Training School Local 496, students can participate in a free one-semester program to explore pipe trades, including plumbing, steam fitting, pipe-fitting, gas-fitting, B-pressure welding and sprinkler fitting. Students will learn from industry professionals and trainers from Piping Industry Training School Local 496 to prepare students for a future career in these various pipe trades. Training takes place in an industry setting by Journeyperson instructors.
Students will gain:
- Theoretical Foundation
- Practical Applications
- Safety Awareness
- Workplace Competencies
- Industry Engagement
Earn industry recognized credentials in:
- Fall protection
- Aerial Work Platform (Elevated Platform)
- First Aid
- Skills, Training and Transition to Work:
- Training by qualified Piping Industry Training School Red Seal Journeyperson
- Connection to potential work placements
- Completion of industry recognized safety credentials
- Students will earn up to 7 Work Experience credits, dependent on attendance
Up to 7 Work Experience Credits
Open to all CBE high school students, who:
- Are in Grade 11 or 12 during the program
- Are minimum 16 years of age
- Are mature, punctual and reliable, as this is an industry setting
- Are able to commit to the duration of the program and attend one of two cohort times
- Have completed the following
- HCS3000 – Workplace Safety Systems
- HCS3010 – Workplace Safety Practices
- CSTS2020 – Construction Safety Training Systems (HCS3950)
All courses are available through the home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor and should be completed
prior to applying.
- Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the training centre each day.
- Students will need CSA approved steel-toed boots
- Semester 2 (February to May), Monday to Thursday
- AM Cohort – Monday – Thursday, 8:30 – 11:30 am OR
- PM Cohort – Monday – Thursday, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Program Delivery and Location
- In-person at the Piping Industry Training School – Local 496 (5649 Burbank Road SE)
- All attempts will be made to place students in their preferred cohort (AM or PM), if noted on their application
How to Apply
- The application deadline for February 2023 programming has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!
- Applications for Summer and Fall 2023 programs will be posted in Spring 2023 – check back often!
The application deadline for February 2023 has now passed. Please talk to your home high school Off-campus Coordinator or Guidance Counsellor to start planning for future programs!