The Spanish Bilingual Program provides students with the opportunity to acquire the basic skills for speaking, reading, writing, listening and communicating in both English and Spanish at a young age. It is a program in which Spanish and English are used as the languages of instruction, beginning in Kindergarten or Grade 1 and continuing to Grade 12.
Students entering kindergarten or Grade 1.
Designations for 2014-15. Designations are subject to change.
- Dalhousie K-4; Senator Patrick Burns 5-9; William Aberhart 10-12
- Collingwood K-4; Senator Patrick Burns 5-9; William Aberhart 10-12
- Eugene Coste K-1; Westgate K-4; Bishop Pinkham 5-8; Robert Warren 9; William Aberhart 10-12
- Canyon Meadows K-4; Robert Warren 5-9; Dr. E.P. Scarlett 10; William Aberhart 11-12
- W.O. Mitchell School K-1
Benefits of Learning Spanish
- Expands the intellect
- Teaches responsible citizenship
- Develops enhanced feelings of self-esteem and pride in having acquired an additional language
- Strengthens English literacy skills
- Encourages the joy of lifelong learning
- Promotes exploration, understanding and appreciation of the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world and contributes to multilingualism and multiculturalism
- Allows students to compete internationally
- Provides students with more choices for advanced education and career options
- Broadens students' cultural life through access to literature, art, music and theatre in another language
Benefits of Spanish Bilingual Program
- Dedicated parents result in a high retention rate of students.
- In elementary, a 50/50 split in instructional time between English and Spanish allows students to build fluency in both languages. Children learn to understand and respond appropriately in Spanish in a range of everyday situations.
- Students may take the DELE, which is the Spanish language credentialing exam.
Subjects taught in Spanish
- Kindergarten, Grades 1 to 6*
Spanish Language Arts; Mathematics; Health/Physical Education; Optional Subject
- Grades 7, 8 and 9*
Spanish Language Arts, Mathematics; Optional Course
- Grades 10, 11 and 12*
Spanish Language Arts; Mathematics or Complimentary Course