Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Banner | Fees & Waivers

Fees & Waivers


​Apply for a Waiver

No child is ever denied access to an education in the CBE because of an inability to pay. If you can’t afford the fees, there are several ways to qualify to be eligible for the fees to be waived including:
  • If you receive assistance from Provincial Social Services
  • If your family is eligible for the Alberta Child Health Benefit
  • If you are a Government Sponsored Convention Refugee
  • If you do not have the documents listed above but have a low income and Treaty Status 

If you do not meet the criteria above, you may declare a financial hardship to your school principal. Your principal will work with you to either come up with a manageable payment schedule, or decide to waive part or all of your fees.

For questions about waivers, please call 403-817-7888.
For all other inquiries, please speak to your child’s principal.

What fees may be waived? 

The CBE will waive fees for parents/guardians if they meet certain income guidelines. Income levels are supported by specific documents. If you qualify, you may apply for a CBE waiver for any or all of the following fees:

  • Instructional Supplies and Materials (ISM) Fee
  • Transportation Fee, including Calgary Transit (except for conditional riders)
  • Music Instrument Rental Fee
  • Noon Supervision Fee
  • Refundable Security Deposit

Documents required to apply for a CBE Waiver

If you receive assistance from Provincial Social Services
You need to provide a photocopy of either:

  • A currently dated Social Services Benefit Card showing applicant’s and student(s) names. OR
  • A current letter from Social Services verifying you are in receipt of assistance and the children listed are covered as your dependants.

If you receive the Alberta Child Health Benefit
You need to provide a photocopy of:

  • The Alberta Child Health Benefit card and the letter of confirmation of renewal for the current year. (DO NOT send a copy of your Alberta Personal Health Card)

If you are Government Sponsored Convention Refugee
You need to provide photocopies of either:

  • Parent(s) “Confirmation of Residency” papers indicating Convention Refugee and a current Citizenship and Immigration cheque stub. OR
  • A copy of current dated Interim Federal Health Certificate of Eligibility for applicant and children.

If you do not have the above documents but have a low income and Treaty status
You need to provide photocopies of both:

  • Treaty Status Card and Notice of Assessment for parents/guardians (this is the only situation where any form of income tax papers will be accepted). AND
  • Treaty Status Card for each of the children (or a letter from your band verifying each child has treaty status).

Alberta Child Health Benefit income guidelines

Family Type
Maximum Qualifying Income
(effective July 1, 2015)
Single parent with 1 child
Single parent with 2 children
Single parent with 3 children
Single parent with 4 children
Couple with 1 child
Couple with 2 children
Couple with 3 children
Couple with 4 children*
*For each additional child, add $4,973
* For information regarding the Alberta Child Health Benefit, please call 310-0000 then dial 780-427-6848 (toll free) or visit the website at
Please note it can take several weeks to receive coverage.
Please note: CBE follows the Alberta Child Health Benefits (ACHB) income guidelines to determine waiver eligibility. The ACHB plan is for families with limited incomes. It pays for health services, prescription drugs and dental care for children up to age 18, and up to age 20 if they live at home and are attending high school up to Grade 12. 

How to Apply

Please note: in addition to the steps below to have fees waived, you will still need to register for all services by filling out and submitting the required forms.

Step 1:
Be sure you have the appropriate documents.

Step 2:
Complete Fee Waiver application online at My CBE Account
Complete a Fee Waiver application. Use only one form per family listing all of your children attending a CBE school.

Step 3:
Attach the documentation indicated for your situation (applicant’s name must be on documentation).

Step 4:
Submit your application and supporting documents
  • Scan required documentation and email to
  • Return form and photocopies of the required documentation to your school
  • Fax to 403-294-8360
  • Mail to: Calgary Board of Education
    Attention: Student Fees
    PO Box 5410 Station A
    Calgary, AB
    T2H 1X8

For more information, call Student Fees at 403-817-7888.

To allow sufficient time to process your application for the beginning of next school year, it is recommended you submit it before the end of June. Applications can take up to six weeks to process.

If your application for a waiver is denied, you may declare a hardship to your school principal. The school will work with you to either come up with a manageable payment schedule, or can decide to waive part or all of your fees. 

No student will be denied access to education due to an inability to pay.


 Contact Us

Questions about fees & waivers

t | 403-817-7888

e |



 Supporting Documents


 Fee Waiver Information


 My CBE Account


Click the button to pay fees, apply for a waiver, or register for noon supervision.

Last modified: 6/24/2016 2:37 PM
Website feedback: Webmaster