Is the Montessori Program the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
- a willingness and capacity to work independently
- an ability to be self-directed
- academic success through engagement in Alberta Programs of Study using the Montessori philosophy and methodology
- an appreciation for use of hands-on learning with a diminished focus on homework
Characteristics of the Montessori Program
- Emphasis on intrinsic motivation and student choice
- Intentional learning environments designed to facilitate self-directed learning
- Where possible, multi-aged classrooms are provided, so that children develop trusting relationships within a peer cohort
- Working with children of differing ages encouraging leadership skills and collaboration
- Montessori teachers hold an Alberta teaching certificate and Montessori teacher training
- Beautifully prepared Montessori materials extend learning
** Entry into the Montessori Program takes place in Kindergarten and Grade 1 only, unless a child has continuous documented Montessori experience (space dependent)
How to Register
For the 2017-18 school year Alternative Program registration begins January 2017. Please take your completed registration package to your designated school after you have attended the parent information session. Please refer to this school’s website for parent information session details.
For families that are new to the CBE and not Canadian citizens, please note you must first attend the Kingsland Reception Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
- Before registering in this program, please carefully consider the transportation needs of your child and review the transportation provided through the CBE for this program
- Please note that there is midday bussing for students in the Montessori program
See Fees page for fees that apply to all CBE students.