Is the Traditional Learning Centre (TLC) the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
- self-management and organizational skills and a commitment to daily homework
- a willingness to participate in positive social interactions and take a leadership role when engaging in problem solving, acts of citizenship, and service
- a willingness to accept the challenge of a rigorous academic curriculum and an eagerness for knowledge and service
Characteristics of the TLC Program
- Character Education intentionally taught and reinforced daily and demonstrated through service to the school, local and global community
- Whole group direct instruction that is sequential and enriched as the primary teaching approach
- Students are provided with a structured, orderly setting appropriate to the learning activity
- Elementary students are in straight grades. Students are grouped by skill ability for language arts and mathematics. Early literacy includes explicit instruction in phonics, spelling, and grammar. Horizontal enrichment opportunities are available to challenge students based on their achievement
- Middle School students are in straight grades in Language Arts and Math and in electives, as needed. Students may be grouped by skill ability for core. Opportunities are provided for horizontal and vertical enrichment in preparation for high school programming
- French as a second language begins in Grade 1 and is mandatory until the end of Grade 9; Music is mandatory until the end of Grade 9 with Band beginning in the middle school setting
- School uniform
How to Register
For the 2016-17 school year Alternative Program registration begins January 11, 2016. Please take your completed registration package to your designated school after you have attended the parent information session. Please refer to this school’s website for parent information session details.
For families that are new to Canada, please note you must first attend the Kingsland Reception Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
- See Fees page for fees that apply to all CBE students
- Uniform cost (approximately $400.00)
- Parents should carefully consider their transportation needs and the transportation service we offer for alternative programs with congregated stops.