About 37,000 students are transported to Calgary Board of Education schools every day. The reasons for this are varied. In some cases, it is because funding for new schools has not kept pace with the growth of new communities; resulting in students needing to travel to schools out of their neighbourhoods. In other cases, families choose to send their children to alternative programs. Some students’ exceptional learning needs are best met in special settings outside their neighbourhoods. As a result, CBE students use either school buses, Calgary Transit, taxi, and/or Handi-bus to transport students.
New for 2015-16
- The CBE is no longer offering rebates on Calgary Transit passes at schools. Parents are still able to claim bus passes on their income tax.
- Routes with low ridership (less than 15 riders) will be partnered with existing routes. Routes not impacted by this change include kindergarten and complex learning needs.
- More students in Grades 6-9 will use Calgary Transit instead of a yellow school bus. Parents will be notified if this change impacts their child’s school in June 2015.
- All CBE routes, with the exception of complex learning needs, will move to congregated stops. Congregated stops mean fewer stops per route and decreased ride times for students.
- Some schools may be required to adjust their start and end time by up to 10 minutes in order to accommodate these changes.
Applying for Busing
Transportation registrations must be completed by June 25, 2015
As of June 1, 2015, parents can register their child for yellow school bus transportation for regular and alternative programs online using their My CBE Account.
In order to help us with route planning and development, registrations should be received, either online or in paper form by June 25, 2015. Fee payment is not due until September. Parents can also cancel their registration before September 30 with no penalty.
Registrations received after June 25, 2015 impact route design and bus stop locations, and may result in delays in service in September.
Complete one registration per family and include all students eligible for all modes of transportation—except Calgary Transit. If you are applying for a waiver of fees, you must also complete this contract.
You will be eligible for a full refund if you cancel your service prior to September 30, 2015.
After September 30, 2015, an administration fee equal to a student's monthly fee will be charged to process refunds. A pro-rated refund will be sent to the forwarding address indicated on the form.
All requests for refunds must be submitted within 30 days of the last day the student rode the bus AND by April 30, 2016. No refunds will be processed for service cancelled after April 30 or for individual trip delays.
Students who are not attending the designated school for their program, or who are not within the transportation service area may be able to access existing service if there is a suitable stop on the existing bus route. Fees will not be waived for Conditional Riders.
Criteria for conditional riders:
- Must access an existing stop
- Must be room on the bus
- Must pay the transportation fee
- No additional bus routes will be implemented to accommodate conditional riders
- Must wait for written approval from Transportation Services before starting to ride the bus
The Expression of Interest for School Bus Transportation for Conditional Riders form has been discontinued. The Conditional Rider School Bus Transportation registration form will only be available mid-September once the forms of all eligible riders have been processed.
Conditional riders are not permitted to ride the bus until it is determined there is space on the bus and riders have been approved by Transportation Services.