registering your child

Selecting a school

The Calgary Board of Education is proud of the commitment to students demonstrated by our community schools. Each student has a designated community school. This is the best place for you to start your search for a school for your child. The Calgary Board of Education also offers several program choices that are developed around teaching philosophy, particular subject matter, or language instruction.

Lottery process for schools that are at capacity

Sometimes a designated school may be full.  In these cases a  lottery process may be needed to determine who is able to attend.

Schools are closed for the summer

If you need to register your child for school or are transferring schools, please do so at the school when it opens in August (the exception is registering non-Canadian students.) Most schools open near the end of August and modified schools earlier in the month. Please check the school website to see when the school is open for registration. If you have other questions during the summer, please call the CBE Public Information line at 403-817-7955.

For more information check:


When you register your child you will need to:

Age requirements

  • A child who turns four years old on or before March 1 may attend Kindergarten in the fall of that same calendar year. Kindergarten is an optional program. Parents decide whether to register their children in Kindergarten.
  • A child who turns five on or before March 1 is eligible to begin Grade 1 in that same calendar year.
  • A child who turns six by September 1 must start school.

You can use the following calculator to determine when your child can start school:

Registering non-canadian students

The Admissions and Assessment Office at Kingsland Centre is open for current registration and for pre-registration for the 2014-2015 school year. Kingsland Centre is open in July and August to register non-Canadian students for the new school year. Many new families arrive during this time, so making an appointment as early as possible is advisable. Appointments may be made until June 26th, 2014, and beginning again on July 13th, 2014. To book an appointment, please call 403-777-7373 (ext. 1).

If your child is not a Canadian citizen, you will need to register at the Admissions Office at Kingsland Centre. If you are a permanent resident or you are here on a work or study permit, registration into the Calgary Board of Education is done by the Admissions Office. This is also the case even if your child has attended school elsewhere in Canada.

Phone 403-777-7373 to ask questions about registration or to make an appointment.

Kingsland Centre is located at 7430 5th Street S.W. Calgary. Click here to see a map.

Kingland Centre also provides other services to assist newcomer families. Click here to learn more.

Admissions Office

The Admissions Office coordinates and implements CBE and Federal Immigration policies and regulations regarding admission of students new to the CBE who are NOT Canadian citizens.

  • Landed immigrants (Permanent Residents)
  • Children of individuals who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent or temporary residence, or non-residents
  • International fee-paying students who are approved by the CBE’s Global Learning

To register, you will need to provide legal proof of your child’s name, date of birth, and citizenship status in Canada. The following documents are acceptable:

  • Permanent resident card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Record of Landing
  • Parent’s valid Work permit or Study Permit
  • Student’s Study Permit (International students)

If you are on a work or study permit you will also need to bring your child’s birth certificate. You will also need to bring information that confirms your address (e.g. a driver’s license or telephone bill).

Kingsland Centre provides other services to help newcomers to Calgary.


Content Moderator:
Web Administrator: Webmaster
Last Modified: September 23, 2014