May. 20, 2021
The Board of Trustees approved the Calgary Board of Education’s 2021-22 budget as well as the 2021–2024 Education Plan at a regular board meeting on Thursday, May 20, 2021.
The budget and Education Plan outline the CBE’s priorities for the system while aligning with the Alberta Education Assurance Framework to enhance public trust and confidence that the education system is meeting the needs of students and that students are successful.
“The Board is pleased to approve two foundational documents that support student success,” said Marilyn Dennis, chair of the Board of Trustees. “The budget maximizes dollars to the classroom and aligns service levels with government funding, while the Education Plan is a direct reflection of the priorities of achievement, equity and well-being identified by the Board of Trustees.”
The $1.4 billion budget will support the educational experiences of a projected 129,123 students in schools and unique settings across the city next school year.
Highlights from the 2021-22 budget:
- Total staffing levels will remain similar to 2020-21. Approximately 90 per cent of CBE staff are in school-based positions with the remaining 10 per cent allocated to non-school-based support staff and facility operations staff.
- Given a slight increase in overall government funding, along with prudent spending restraint, the CBE has increased the funding to 247 schools by more than $3.5 million.
- The CBE is providing a 40 per cent reduction to student transportation fees for the coming school year as a result of a COVID-19-related surplus in our transportation budget. This fee reduction is in addition to the full rebate of student transportation fees for the 2020-21 school year.
The budget will now be submitted to Alberta Education in advance of the May 31 deadline.
2021–2024 Education Plan
The 2021–2024 Education Plan is a direct reflection of the priorities identified by the Board of Trustees: achievement, equity and well-being. These priorities will be addressed through the goals of learning excellence, people excellence, collaborative partnerships and strategic resourcing.
The goals set the direction for the system as a whole, and work within individual schools, and in service units. Accordingly, the Education Plan connects each employee in the CBE to student success. The work of the Education Plan lives in every school and service unit.
The Education Plan identifies provincial and local measures that will support the system with maintaining focus on being a learning organization that focuses on continuous improvement.