Our Language and Culture Programs courses provide students with the opportunity to learn another language if they have not been in an Immersion or Bilingual program.
The courses are offered at different levels:
- 9-year language instruction starts in Grade 4
- 6-year language instruction starts in Grade 7
- 3-year language instruction starts in Grade 10
Contact your school to find out which of the following Language and Culture Courses may be offered:
- American Sign Language and Deaf Culture
- Chinese (Mandarin) Language and Culture
- French as a Second Language
- German Language and Culture
- Italian Language and Culture
- Japanese Language and Culture
- Punjabi Language and Culture
- Spanish Language and Culture
CBE High Schools offer many second languages course pathways. The following information has been compiled so as to help CBE staff, students and families identify which language courses and pathways are available in which CBE high schools. The information is current as of the 2022-2023 school year.
High schools and alternative high school programs not listed in the chart did not report any second language courses.
Optional Exams & Language Course Challenges
Language Course Challenge
Students who wish to challenge the Level 30 or 35 language CBE courses. Challenges may be made twice a year in Fall and Spring. Requests must be made at the school and submitted before the deadline. A signed form is required.
French & International Languages Course Challenge Guide