Is the Traditional Learning Centre (TLC) the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
- self-management and organizational skills and a commitment to daily homework
- a willingness to participate in positive social interactions and take a leadership role when engaging in problem solving, acts of citizenship, and service
- a willingness to accept the challenge of a rigorous academic curriculum and an eagerness for knowledge and service
- respect for self, others, and the environment
- a willingness to work independently within a structured setting
Characteristics of the TLC Program
- Character education intentionally taught and reinforced daily and demonstrated through service to the school, local and global community
- Whole group direct instruction that is sequential and enriched as the primary teaching approach
- Students are provided with a structured, orderly setting appropriate to the learning activity
- Elementary and middle schoool students are in straight grades.
- Early literacy includes explicit instruction in phonics, spelling, and grammar.
- French as a second language begins in Grade 1 and is mandatory in Gr. 1-6 and optional in Gr. 7-9.
Music is mandatory from Kindergarten through grade 6. Music is a required option in grades 7-9. While all TLC middle schools will offer Instrumental Music (Band), other Music options that may be offered, depending on space and available resources at the school, may include Choral Music or General Music.
- Homework expectations are in place for Gr. 1-9. Homework will be based on classroom instruction and personalization for students’ needs. It will be meaningful and with the purpose of reinforcing classroom teachings and support students in the work of developing time management, organizational and study skills.
- Mandatory school uniform
Daily singing of O Canada in either French or English
How to Register
Registration for 2019-20 begins January 2019
Refer to your designated school’s website for parent information session. Attend parent information session and/or view informational presentation.
Complete registration package and take to designated school.
Packages will be accepted starting January 14, 2019
For students that are new to the CBE and the student is not a Canadian Citizen, please note you must first attend the Kingsland Reception Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
- See Fees page for fees that apply to all CBE students
- Uniform cost (approximately $400.00)
- Costs associated with the band program