Is the Science Program the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
- a love of science and curiosity about how the world works
- willingness to take risks in learning and is comfortable with ambiguity
- a resiliency for learning in outdoor environments in all weather conditions
- a willingness to conform to uniform regulations when/where expected
Characteristics of a Science Program
- Fosters critical thinking through science and technology perspectives
- Emphasizes the development of scientific literacy
- Engages students through the practice of scientific inquiry
- Investigating problems, formulating hypotheses, testing, and reporting their observations and findings
- Instills a collaborative approach to seeking solutions to complex problems
- Engages with experts in the field of science and technology
- Explores opportunities to participate in science across all areas of curriculum
- Instructional focus on inquiry, experiential learning and integrated project work using the Alberta Education curriculum
- Monthly or bi-weekly field studies per year for each student, parents are required to volunteer for a minimum of 3 field studies per registered student
- Fees will be assessed for each student per year to cover the cost of field studies
How to Register for the 2023-24 School Year
Alternative and Language Programs have their own registration process. Visit the
Alternative Program Registration page for information on how to register.
Fees page for fees that apply to all CBE students
- Kindergarten = up to $100 (field study)
- Grade 1 to 9 = up to $200 (field study)
Transportation for Alternative Programs for important information. Parents will want to carefully consider the transportation services to and from the alternative program they want to enrol their child in.
Find a School
Every child in Calgary has a designated school based on their home address and the program they choose.
Find your designated school with our find a school tool along with the school's contact information and website address. Be sure to use the drop down arrow for 'Program Options' to select 'Science'.