Is the Science Program the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
- a love of science
- a desire to engage in and dialogue about how the world works, comfort in learning through the perspective of science and prefers direct contact with phenomena (i.e. enjoys hands on exploration)
- an ability to take initiative
- adaptability to various learning environments
- A passion and resiliency for learning in outdoor environments
- a willingness to conform to uniform regulations, where expected
- a willingness to participate in extensive off-site field studies
Characteristics of a Science Program
- Using the Alberta Education Science Program of Study to drive integrated curriculum, fostering curiosity
- Fostering critical thinking skills and problem-solving based on science and technology perspectives
- Students develop scientific literacy (skills of observation and documentation, measurement, prediction, analysis, synthesis of data)
- Opportunities for co-construction of knowledge and understanding through the perspective of science
- Frequent field study to enhance science topics and inquiries
- Engaging in study of the natural world of the schoolyard and community
- Connecting with experts in the field of science and technology
- Having opportunity to participate in science extracurricular opportunities to enrich learning
- Consistent participation in regular field studies that provide opportunities for problem-solving, knowledge acquisition, and service through a scientific lens
- Instructional focus on inquiry, experiential learning and integrated project work
- 10-20 field studies per year for each student, parents are required to volunteer for a minimum of 3 field studies per registered student
- Additional fees will be assessed for each student per year to cover the cost of field studies (past costs have been up to $200.00)
How to Register
- Registration for 2020-21 begins January 2020
- Refer to designated school’s website for parent information session. Attend parent information session and/or view informational presentation.
- Complete registration package and take to designated school.
- Packages will be accepted starting Jan. 20, 2020
- Packages must be received by Feb. 11, 2020 at noon.
For families that are new to the CBE and not Canadian citizens, please note you must first attend the
CBE Welcome Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
Fees page for fees that apply to all CBE students
- Kindergarten = $100 (Field study)
- Grade 1 to 9 = $200 (Field study)
- Uniform (for applicable schools)
Transportation for Alternative Programs for important information. Parents will want to carefully consider the transportation services to and from the alternative program they want to enrol their child in.