Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Banner | Language Credentialing
Language Credentialing : Language Credentialing

Language Credentialing

Language Credentialing

​Language credentialing is an evaluation of language competency for second language speakers based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). In November 2001, a European Union Council Resolution recommended using the CEFR to set up common systems of validation of language ability. The six reference levels are becoming widely accepted as the European standard and quickly becoming recognized internationally for grading an individual's language proficiency. It is a standardized assessment of language proficiency recognized internationally.

Upon successful completion at each level students receive a diploma.  Four areas of communication: oral production, written production, listening comprehension and written comprehension are assessed.

Benefits of Language Credentialing

Language credentialing is for you if you want to:

  • work in other countries
  • measure and certify your skills on a global scale
  • have a language diploma valid throughout the world
  • gain new responsibilities to enhance your career
  • enhance your resume
  • study at a university in another language
  • have your second language abilities recognized for professional or personal purposes

Using your Language Credentials

Language credentialing can be used in a variety of contexts. Some examples include:

  • An employee can present credentials to indicate language proficiency
  • An employer can request language credentials in order to ensure a certain level of efficiency
  • A parent can use language credentialing to assess the progress and/or the proficiency level of their child
  • A student may use it to establish language proficiency at a university where the language of instruction is different from their first language
  • A student may use it to establish the next step in their language learning

Difference between language credentialing and IB and AP courses

IB and AP courses are specifically used for university entrance purposes at many universities. They are not used for employment purposes, to establish a proficiency level recognized internationally, or to establish the next level.

Preparation for Language Credentialing

Each language credentialing exam has resources, such as print materials, websites, and preparatory courses, which will allow candidates to familiarize themselves with the content and the format of the exam.

Exam Fees

The cost of the exam depends on the language and the level. Please refer to the specific language for further information.

University Requirement

Different countries have different regulations regarding language credentialing for university entrance. In addition, many universities are now accepting language credentialing (generally at the B2 level) as a way for students to meet the language requirement. As each university is different, it is advisable to check with the institution.


Language credentials are valid for life, much like a university degree.


Successful candidates will receive a letter and a diploma indicating their results.



 Contact Us

​French and International Languages Information Line


CBE Public Information Line

 Supporting Documents


High school students

Last modified: 11/12/2018 11:50 AM
Website feedback: Webmaster