Is the Montessori Program the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
a willingness and capacity to work independently
an ability to be self-directed
academic success through engagement in Alberta Programs of Study using the Montessori philosophy and methodology
an appreciation for use of hands-on learning with a diminished focus on homework
Characteristics of the Montessori Program
Emphasis on intrinsic motivation and student choice
Intentional learning environments designed to facilitate self-directed learning
Where possible, multi-aged classrooms are provided, so that children develop trusting relationships within a peer cohort
Working with children of differing ages encouraging leadership skills and collaboration
Montessori teachers hold an Alberta teaching certificate and Montessori teacher training
Beautifully prepared Montessori materials extend learning
** Entry into the Montessori Program takes place in Kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2 only, unless a child has continuous documented Montessori experience (space dependent).
Students with previous Montessori experience may start the Montessori program at other grade levels. In the case of alternate entry points, the student, parents and principal of the designated school will meet to determine a personalized plan for successful entry.
How to Register
- Registration begins on the second Monday in January.
- Refer to your designated school’s website for any parent information session. Attend parent information session and/or view informational presentation.
- Only completed packages will be accepted once registration begins.
- Packages must be received by Tuesday at noon of the week of Teacher’s Convention. Note:
Lottery draws will take place the following day.
- For families that are new to the CBE and not Canadian citizens, please note you must first attend the CBE Welcome Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
Please see Transportation for Alternative Programs for important information. Parents will want to carefully consider the transportation services to and from the alternative program they want to enrol their child in.
Fees page for fees that apply to all CBE students.
Find a School
Every child in Calgary has a designated school based on their home address and the program they choose.
Find your designated school with our find a school tool along with the school's contact information and website address. Be sure to use the drop down arrow for 'Program Options' to select 'Montessori'.