Is the Montessori Program the Right Choice for My Child?
A successful student demonstrates:
- a willingness and capacity to work independently
- an ability to be self-directed
- academic success through engagement in Alberta Programs of Study using the Montessori philosophy and methodology
- an appreciation for use of hands-on learning with a diminished focus on homework
Characteristics of the Montessori Program
- Emphasis on intrinsic motivation and student choice
- Intentional learning environments designed to facilitate self-directed learning
- Where possible, multi-aged classrooms are provided, so that children develop trusting relationships within a peer cohort
- Working with children of differing ages encouraging leadership skills and collaboration
- Montessori teachers hold an Alberta teaching certificate and Montessori teacher training
- Beautifully prepared Montessori materials extend learning
** Entry into the Montessori Program takes place in Kindergarten and Grade 1 only, unless a child has continuous documented Montessori experience (space dependent)
How to Register
- Registration for 2019-20 begins January 2019.
- Refer to designated school’s website for parent information session. Attend parent information session and/or view informational presentation.
- Complete registration package and take to designated school.
- Packages will be accepted starting Jan. 14, 2019
- Packages must be received by Feb. 12, 2019 at noon.
For families that are new to the CBE and not Canadian citizens, please note you must first attend the Kingsland Reception Centre for an initial assessment prior to registering for an Alternative Program.
Please see Transportation for Alternative Programs for important information. Parents will want to carefully consider the transportation services to and from the alternative program they want to enrol their child in.
See Fees page for fees that apply to all CBE students.