John Ware School Celebrates Pride
Jun. 20, 2019
To honor the members of its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT+) community, John Ware School celebrated Pride the week of June 3. The students in the school’s Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) came together to plan a variety of activities to educate their peers on LGBT+ history and the importance of creating a safe and inclusive school community.
The mood in the school was noticeably different as staff and students at John Ware School really jumped on board with the idea of inclusivity and support for the LGBT+ community.
Students at the school:
- Sold Milk in honor of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay elected official in California.
- Gave out free fruit punch and educated students about the importance of being a good ally and what this means.
- Hosted an inclusive Pride Dance.
- Hosted Reading with Royalty (a story time that celebrate inclusion and diversity led by local drag queen and king performers).
- Showed the movie Love, Simon along with rainbow baked goods by our Grade 8 Foods classes.
- Sold Rainbow popcorn.
To maintain a school culture that values, “an inclusive and safe community where we all belong,” the school plans to host more activities in the next school year.