Given the state of the public health situation, the Calgary Board of Education has decided to provide another opportunity for you to enrol your student in the centralized online school known as CBe-learn.
Important: Transferring to CBe-learn is a commitment for the full 2021-2022 school year. It is not designed to allow for transitions to in-person learning at any point during the school year. Students who transfer to CBe-learn from alternative programs or schools with capped enrolment/lotteries will not have their space held and would need to go through the transfer or lottery process again if they wish to return in future years.
Starting as early as Aug. 23, you can request a transfer to CBe-learn online school from the school your child is currently registered at.
Students who transfer to CBe-learn will start on Sept. 7 or Sept. 13, depending on transfer request and acceptance timelines and when your designated school office is open. You will receive an email from CBe-learn once your transfer request has been processed. If you have any questions, please contact your current or designated school.
- For transfers requested and approved between Aug. 23 to Aug. 27 at Noon, students would start CBe-learn on Sept. 7. Parents will receive email confirmation by Sept. 3.
- For transfers requested and approved from Aug. 30 to Sept. 2 at Noon, students would start CBe-learn on Sept. 13. Parents will receive email confirmation by Sept. 10.
Please note: School offices are open at varying times and closed on the weekend of Aug. 28, 29 and cannot receive forms. Specific information is available on each school’s website.
Additionally, forms can be filed digitally any time, through the school’s main inbox listed on the school’s website.
More about CBe-learn
CBe-learn is a full-time learning option for students in Grade 1 to 12. It operates as a single school within the CBE, with its own teachers and students who attend online classes from across the city.
CBe-learn covers the full English Alberta Education Programs of Study. It offers courses required for high school completion, including Core and Career and Technology Studies (CTS) courses. It does NOT offer Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Special Education classes, ELL classes, or alternative programs including French Immersion, Spanish Bilingual and Arts-Centered Learning.
We invite you to consider the choice that works best for your family and individual needs. Please see the CBe-learn self and family assessment tool to help determine the appropriateness and requirements of online learning.
For more information visit the CBe-learn school website. The website includes videos specific to each set of grade levels.
I wish you a wonderful start to the 2021-22 school year. Working together, we can ensure a safe and successful school year.
Chief Superintendent of Schools
To request a transfer:
1. Complete the Parent Acknowledgement of Understanding for CBe-learn form.
2. Complete a transfer form:
3. Submit both forms to the student’s current or designated school by the deadline. You can choose to complete:
- Printed Forms: Print, complete and sign both forms. Provide the forms to the Principal/Assistant Principal.
- Digital Forms: Complete both forms digitally. Email them to the current or designated school’s main inbox, listed on the school website. The email must be sent from the parent/legal guardian (or independent student), using the email address on file with CBE.
If you have any questions, please contact your current or designated school.